Finally fixed permissions on Windows 8

Ever since I installed Windows 8, the XBox music app has been a pain in the arse. No matter what I did to the libraries settings, nothing seemed to work. I’ve just accepted it was a crap app.

However, I was in the middle of my yearly clearup of crap I’ve accumulated and found the problem. Permissions on some of my music are still set to my old Windows 7 installation, and since I’m using my Microsoft account now to sign in, 95% of my music just refuses to load.

Open a command line with administrator permissions, and CD to the directory to need to fix. In my case it was

CD music

Now type

icacls * /t /q /c /reset

If you still get access denied messages, try

takeown /r /f *

and then the icacls command from above again. This should fix the issue.

Now my music is all showing up, and it worked for my videos as well. Happy as a pig in shit.

Leave a Reply